Wednesday 23 May 2007

Big shell, little shell

click photo to enlarge
PHOTO
Two shells - both, I am told, varieties of the species Murex - laid on a mirror in front of a black background, with natural lighting.

QUOTO
"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world...perhaps you've seen it."
Steven Wright (1955 - ), US comedian, actor and writer

INFO
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 70mm macro (35mm equiv.)
F No: f18
Shutter Speed: 1/6
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -2.0EV
photograph (c) T. Boughen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TB2 if I may
Would you tell me your thoughts w.r.t.
-2.0eV
thank you
always wonderful photos

Tony Boughen said...

-2.0EV looks fairly extreme, but the brightest parts of the shell were being illuminated by strong directional lighting to the point where they were being "blown" (recorded as pure white 255). This was evident when I reviewed the shots on the camera's LCD with "Highlights" selected. So, I took the EV down in steps to the point where this didn't happen, knowing that I could recover the detail in the areas of the image that were now too dark. I always shoot in RAW, and this makes the process easier. Thanks for your interest and comment.

Tony